By Rachell Carbajal
The 2021 VMAs, MTV were shown on September 12th, 2021, in Brooklyn, New York City, at the Barclays Center. The VMAs hosted by the American rapper/singer, Doja Cat.
Madonna’s Surprise Appearance: Surprised, many people did not know Madonna would appear on the 40th anniversary of the VMAs, Madonna stating, “Around 40 years ago I came to New York City with nothing but $35 and a pair of dance shoes, “Forty years ago, another underdog arrived in New York City hoping to create something revolutionary. An all-music channel premiered in the middle of the night and called itself MTV. We found each other and formed a bond that changed my life, changed music and created a whole new art form. That’s why there’s only one place to be tonight” (https://www.billboard.com/articles/news/awards/9628357/2021-mtv-vmas-best-moments/). She performed .
Cyndi Lauper’s Call for Women’s Rights: Cyndi Lauper wanted to make a call out for Women’s Rights singing her hit single, “Girls Just Want to Have Fun”. She states, “Girls still want to have fun, but they also want funds, equal pay, control over our bodies. You know, fundamental rights,” Lauper told the crowd, who met her statement with venue-shaking cheers” (https://www.billboard.com/articles/news/awards/9628357/2021-mtv-vmas-best-moments/).
Billie Eilish’s “Your Power” Acceptance Speech: Later on, the American singer Billie Eilish gave an acceptance speech, mainly speaking on protecting young women, which is also shown throughout her song “Your Power,” an impactful song that was nominated. She states, “I just want to say that we need to protect our young women at all costs. For real,” she said. “We also need to remember that we all have power, and we have to remember to not abuse it” (https://www.seventeen.com/celebrity/music/a37567004/billie-eilish-vmas-2021-speech/).
Lil Nas X’s Tribute to Those Living With HIV: Lil Nas X was ready to perform Industry Baby with Jack Harrlow, showing not only were they on fire, but so was this light on activism. https://www.billboard.com/articles/news/awards/9628357/2021-mtv-vmas-best-moments/
Doja Cat’s Outfits: First off, I want to say that I loved Doja Cat’s outfits. They were all so crazy, but beautiful at the same time. Here’s a look at six of the iconic outfits she wore during the VMAs.
Top Iconic Looks during the VMAs: Here’s some of the most iconic and beautiful looks of the 2021 VMAs.
Normani’s Homage to Janet Jackson: Lastly, Normani paid a special homage to Janet Jackson, while performing “Wild Side” Normani paid homage to Janet Jackson by making the exact move Janet Jackson once did, while performing “Would You Mind.”
Winners of the VMAs: Finally, I’ll show you the final winners of the 2021 of the VMAs:
- Group Of The Year: BTS
- Global Icon Award: HONOREE: Foo Fighters
- Video Of The Year: Lil Nas X: “Montero (Call Me by Your Name)”
- Artist Of The Year: Justin Bieber
- Song Of The Year: Olivia Rodrigo: “Drivers License”
- Best New Artist: Olivia Rodrigo
- Push Performance Of The Year: Olivia Rodrigo: “Drivers License”
- Best Collaboration: Doja Cat ft. SZA: “Kiss Me More”
- Best Pop: Justin Bieber ft. Giveon: “Peaches”
- Best Hip-Hip: Travis Scott ft. Young Thug & M.I.A.: “Franchise”
- Best Rock: John Mayer: “Last Train Home”
- Best Alternative: Machine Gun Kelly ft. Blackbear: “My Ex’s Best Friend”
- Best Latin: Billie Eilish & Rosalía: “Lo Vas A Olvidar”
- Best R&B: Bruno Mars, Anderson .Paak, Silk Sonic: “Leave the Door Open”
- Best K-Pop: BTS: “Butter”
- Video For Good: Billie Eilish: “Your Power”
- Best Direction: Lil Nas X: “Montero (Call Me by Your Name)”
- Best Cinematography: Beyoncé, Blue Ivy, SAINt JHN, WizKid: “Brown Skin Girl”
- Best Art Direction: Saweetie ft. Doja Cat: “Best Friend”
- Best Visual Effects: Lil Nas X: “Montero (Call Me by Your Name)”
- Best Choreography: Harry Styles: “Treat People With Kindness”
- Best Editing: Bruno Mars, Anderson .Paak, Silk Sonic: “Leave the Door Open”
I enjoyed every moment during the 2021 VMAs, I hope to see more iconic moments later in the future VMAs, for now what was your favorite moment of the 2021 VMAs?