By Nidhi Jairam and Kaitlyn Bender
La bûche de Noël, also known as the yule log, is a cake that the French make especially for Christmas. The direct translation of “La bûche de Noël” is the log of Christmas, named so because it is baked to look like a log of wood. The cake is baked in a jelly roll pan, covered with icing (chocolate, vanilla, or even ice cream!), and rolled to create a swirl pattern on the ends, like the rings of a tree.
4 eggs ( separated )
½ cup of granulated sugar, plus a separate ⅓ cup ( 200 mL )
1 tsp of vanilla extract ( 5 mL )
½ cup all purpose flour ( 125 mL )
¼ HERSHEY”S Cocoa ( 50 mL )
½ tsp baking powder ( 2 mL )
¼ tsp baking soda ( 1 mL )
A pinch of salt
⅓ cup of water ( 75 mL )
8 oz Cool Whip
8 oz Chocolate Frosting
1. Preheat the oven to 375°F (190°C). Line a 15-1/2 x 10-1/2 x 1-inch (40 x 25 x 2.5 cm) jelly roll pan with foil; generously grease foil.
2. Beat egg whites with an electric mixer, set on high speed, in a large bowl until stiff peaks form. Add 1/2 cup (125 mL) sugar, one tablespoon at a time, until stiff peaks form.
3. Beat egg yolks and vanilla with an electric mixer, set on medium speed, for 3 minutes; gradually add the remaining sugar. Beat for 2 minutes or until thickened and lemon-colored.
4. Stir flour with cocoa, baking powder, baking soda and salt; gently fold into egg yolk mixture alternately with water just until mixture is smooth. Gently fold chocolate mixture into egg whites; spread batter evenly in prepared pan.
5. Bake for 12 to 15 minutes or until the top springs back when touched lightly in the centre. Immediately loosen the cake from the edges of the pan; invert onto a clean linen towel sprinkled with powdered sugar. Carefully peel off foil; discard. Immediately roll the cake in a towel starting at the narrow end. Place on a wire rack and cool completely.
6. Unroll the cake and remove the towel. Spread Cool Whip in an even layer over the cake; re-roll into a log. Spread chocolate frosting over top and sides. Run a fork over the frosting to have a bark-like look. Chill until ready to serve. Garnish as desired.
We really enjoyed making la bûche de Noël! It’s fun and easy to make, and tastes amazing as well.
We give this recipe 5 stars because the baked cake is delicious, and the Cool Whip adds even more moisture to the bûche de Noël.