By Julia Kemp
- The variant was first detected in India in December of 2021.
- The variant is much more contagious and spreads far faster than any other strain.
- Vaccinated people are significantly less likely to be infected than unvaccinated people! (get vaccinated folks)
- Though vaccinated people are less likely to contract the Delta variant, vaccines are not 100% effective. That’s why Santa Clara County has reinstated the mask mandate for everyone, including vaccinated people.
- The Delta variant is impacting younger age groups more than any other strain. Since there is no approved vaccine for kids 12 and under, older groups that are able to be vaccinated should do so. Vaccination rates need to rise in order to protect those that cannot get vaccinated.
- There is still more to learn about the Delta variant. Since this strain is new and acts differently than other strains, there are still a lot of unknowns about it. The best thing that you can do to stop the spread and protect yourself and others is to get vaccinated and pay attention to the CDC for any new information about the variant and/or other things you can do to prevent another March-of-2020-style lockdown.