By Madi Zanardelli
With the start of the new semester, many of you may need community service hours to fulfill club requirements or just want to find a way to give back to the community, but with Covid-19, opportunities have been few and far between. Here is a list of some activities you can do virtually or safely in person.
- Create an Online STEM program for kids: Through this online program you would help create educational STEM projects for elementary school children. If you have a passion in the STEM field, this is a great opportunity to add to your college application. For more information: https://www.volunteermatch.org/search/opp2977569.jsp
- Online Tutoring: Meet once a week for 30-60 minutes to tutor students anywhere from 4th to 10th grade. To apply, go to: https://teensgive.org/virtual/
- No-Sew Mask: Using an easy DIY tutorial you can make no-sew masks which are in high demand after the holidays, especially in homeless shelters.
To get involved go to: https://www.dosomething.org/us/campaigns/no-sew-mask
- Food Box Distribution: Help load food boxes into cars for people in need. You must wear a mask and gloves for the entirety of your shift, and you must be at least 16 years old. For more information or to sign up here is the link: https://www.volunteermatch.org/search/opp3294370.jsp
- Trail Clean Up: Help pick up litter on the Coyote Creek Trail on Saturday February 20. This is a great way to get out of the house while safely helping the community! To sign up go to: https://www.eventbrite.com/e/dont-litter-its-bitter-trail-cleanup-registration-133416691917
Wildlife Habitat: Help create a native wildlife habitat through weeding, mulching, planting, and watering. Workdays are Saturdays 8am to 10am and learn more or to sign up go to: https://www.volunteermatch.org/search/opp424736.jsp